Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Ultimate New Media

This project would discuss the impact MMOs have had on me and society.  I spend most of my free time on MMOs and have much experience with them.  I believe that MMOs are amazing in the way that they are a form of new media but they can also spawn different instances of new media. (Game-specific forums, wikis, ircs, guild forums, YouTube content, etc.)  I will also explore the positives and negatives of new media principals within MMOs.  Positives can include a sense of comradery  and brotherhood while the negatives may include cyber bullying and privacy issues.  With the gaming industry continuing to grow and continuing to push online play,  the human to human interaction also continues to expand.  More MMO's are now being pushed towards the more casual users expanding the player base.  The 5 C's in new media are really pushed and tied to MMO's.  This makes MMO's the "ultimate new media".

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea for a topic because while MMO's are capable because of new media, they also create new media, which is very interesting. I think another negative that you could include would be addiction, I remember reading an article where a young man actually died from playing a game for hours on end, and I have also seen a program on television regarding a "rehab" for the addicts. Overall I think this will be a very interesting topic and can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree this is a very interesting topic. I believe they form more then just new media they form new communities in general. The bond i share with the people i've played MMOs with has withstood the test of time so to say. It would be also be interesting if you included how MMO creators, such as Nexon, are able to make their free games extremely profitable by selling virtual currencies. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete